Belonging to the cactus family and also known as sweet pitayas, dragon fruit tastes awesome and is packed with many nutrients and vitamins like carbohydrates, Protein, Calcium, Iron, Fiber, Thiamine (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Phosphorous, Zinc, Anti-Oxidants, Lycopene, Omega 3 Fatty Acids, and Omega 6 Fatty Acids that help in treating various health concerns.
1. Dragon fruit helps lower cholesterol. Dragon fruit is packed with Omega 3 as well as Omega 6 fatty acids and polyunsaturated fats, all considered as good fats for the body as they aid in lowering the cholesterol.
2. Dragon Fruit helps prevents cancer. Dragon Fruit is a natural source of vitamin C and carotene. The carotene present in the fruit is packed with anti-carcinogenic properties that help in reducing the risk of cancer as well as tumors.
The lycopene present in the dragon fruit is the main compound that forms the red color on the dragon fruit and this is known to reduce the risk of prostate cancer.
Several medical studies have proven that a regular intake of dragon fruit has resulted in lowering the risk of cancer cells in the body.
3. Dragon Fruit aids in digestions and in prevention and cure of diabetes. Dragon fruit is loaded with fiber that helps in improving the bowel movements as well as decreases the risk of constipation or any other bowel disorder, As a rich source of fiber, it also aids in stabilizing the sugar levels in diabetics and in inhibiting the sugar spikes in the patients. Consumption of dragon fruit also has a great effect on the oxidative stress in the diabetic patients.
4. Dragon Fruit helps boosting immunity.According to several studies, a high intake of vitamin C in the diet helps in boosting the immune system of the body.
Dragon fruit is considered as one of the richest natural sources of vitamin C that can aid in boosting the immune system.
Regular intake of dragon fruit is also known to increase the activity of the antioxidants in our body.
5. Dragon fruit improves overall heart health. Dragon fruit is a great source of monosaturated fats that aids in improving the overall heart health. Several research conducted on dragon fruit revealed that a high intake of dragon fruit reduces the bad cholesterol levels in the body and reduce the risk of developing heart diseases like strokes and heart attacks as well as improve the overall heart health.
Dragon fruit is packed with Omega 3 as well as Omega 6 fatty acids and polyunsaturated fats, all considered as good fats for the body as they aid in lowering the cholesterol.
While dragon fruit reduces the bad cholesterol levels in the body, it also increases the good cholesterol levels that eventually results in balancing the blood sugar levels as well as improving the cardiovascular health on a major level.
6. Dragon Fruit helps strengthen healthy bones and teeth. Dragon fruit is a rich natural source of phosphorus and calcium, qualities in foods help in strengthening the bones and teeth.
It has been proven in several medical studies that regular consumption of the dragon fruit also reduces the risk and symptoms of osteoporosis.
7. Dragon fruit helps boost the metabolic rate of the body. Protein plays a crucial role in boosting the metabolic rate of our body and this eventually speeds up the weight-loss procedure.
Dragon fruit contains the required amount of protein that can easily boost up the metabolic rate of our body and help us lose weight faster. (Source: Nutrition and You)