By Monette H. Herrera, PIA 1, La Union
SAN FERNANDO CITY, La Union — The Department of Health 1 (DOH-1) is launching anew its Aksyon: Paputok Injury Reduction (APIR) campaign in the region to remind the public a more safe and responsible use of firecracker.
Dra. Ma. Racquel Rimando-Magalong, DOH-Health Emergency Management Service Coordinator said all hospitals are now prepared and on 24 hour duty especially on December 25 to January 5 to attend to firecracker victims.
“Aside from that, we have our Online Electronic Injury Surveillance System to monitor and document cases of fireworks-related injuries meant to guide people and strengthen our advocacy on APIR to other agencies,” she said.
Based on the surveillance report, 348 cases have been recorded related to such cases from December 3, 2011 to January 10, 2012 or 0.6 percent lower from the same period of the previous year with 350 cases.
However, Magalong cited that gunshot wound cases had increased by 79 percent with 14 cases noted this period and only three cases last year.
“That is why we strictly coordinate with the Police Regional Office 1 to make a thorough investigation of this type of incidence,” she said.
We also appeal to the public especially to parents to refrain their children from using or playing any firecracker/fireworks in order to avoid injuries, she explained.
Malong expresses her hope that cases of fireworks-related injuries will be lessened this year as promotion on the APIR campaign will be hightened thru the media and other agencies to increase peoples awareness that will make their Christmas and New Year celebration complete and stress-free.#