In My Eyes: by Edward B. Antonio
(Last of two parts)
The following are some anti-rape points every girl should remember:
1] If someone is following behind you on a street or in a garage orwith you in an elevator or stairwell, look them in the face and askthem a question, like what time is it, or make general small talk like “Can’t believe it is so cold out here.: Nowthat you’ve seen their faces and could identify them in a line- up,you lose appeal as a target.
2] If someone is coming toward you, hold out your hands in front ofyou and yell “top or Stay back!” Most of the rapists this man talked tosaid they’d leave a woman alone if she yelled or showed that she wouldnot be afraid to fight back. Again, they are looking for an easy target.
3] If you carry pepper spray yelling”I have pepperspray”and holding it out will be a deterrent.
4] If someone grabs you, you can’t beat them with strength but you cando it by outsmarting them. If you are grabbed around the waist frombehind, pinch the attacker either under the arm between the elbow andarmpit or in the upper inner thigh – HARD. One woman in a class thisguy taught told him she used the underarm pinch on a guy who wastrying to date rape her and was so upset she broke through the skinand tore out muscle strands the guy needed stitches. Try pinchingyourself in those places as hard as you can stand it; it really hurts.
5] After the initial hit, always go for the groin. If you slap a guy’s parts itis extremely painful. You might think that you’ll anger the guy andmake him want to hurt you more, but the thing is that they want a woman who will not cause him a lot oftrouble. Start causing trouble, and he’s out of there.
6] When the guy puts his hands up to you, grab his first two fingersand bend them back as far as possible with as much pressure pushingdown on them as possible.
7] Of course the things we always hear still apply. Always be aware ofyour surroundings, take someone with you if you can and if you see anyodd behavior, don’t dismiss it, and go with your instincts. You may feel alittle silly at the time, but you’d feel much worse if the guy reallymeans trouble.
Finally, please remember these as well.
1. Tip from Tae Kwon Do: The elbow is the strongest point on yourbody. If you are close enough to use it, do it.
2. If a robber asksfor your wallet and/or purse, do not hand it to him. Toss it away fromyou…. chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/orpurse than you and he will go for the wallet/purse. Run like mad in the other direction!
3. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car: Kick out the backtail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving likecrazy. The driver won’t see you but everybody else will. This hassaved lives.
4. A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot, orparking garage:
a. Be aware: look around your car as someone may behiding at the passenger side , peek into your car, inside the
passenger side floor, and in the back seat. (do this too before riding a taxi cab) .
b. If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from thepassenger door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pullingthem into their vans while the women are attempting to get into theircars.
c. Look at the car parked on the driver’s side of your vehicle, andthe passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearestyour car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get aguard/policeman to walk you back out. it is always better to be safethan sorry. (And better paranoid than dead.)
6. Always take the elevator instead of the stairs. (Stairwells arehorrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot).
7. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, alwaysrun! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times; and even then, it most likely will not be a vital organ. Run!
8. Stop being too sympathetic, it mayget you raped, or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well-educated man, who always played on the sympathiesof unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and oftenasked “for help” into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is whenhe abducted his next victim.#