LAOAG CITY – “Contemporary events strongly suggest that the old seal of the province be accordingly modified or revised”.
This is the statement embodied in the Sanggunian Panlalawigan (SP) Ordinance No.30-2011 entitled “Adopting a New Official Seal of the Province of Ilocos Norte after Gov. Imee R. Marcos pushed for the modification of the official seal of the provincial government of Ilocos Norte
Through the approval of Gov. Imee R. Marcos and the concurrence of the Sanggunian Panlalawigan of Ilocos Norte on its 46th Regular Session held at the Provincial Capitol on June 13, 2011, the provincial board members of Ilocos Norte have unanimously approved the suggested changes made in the provincial seal.
As stated in the ordinance, “the passing of time and the inevitable onset of change and contemporaneous events, the profile, demography, and status of the Province of Ilocos Norte have virtually been altered and assumed a new configuration that necessitates the relevance of the Province’s official seal.”
The new Official Seal as modified, thus, includes the replica of the famous Paoay (St. Augustine) Church which is built in 1694 and completed 200 years thereafter (1894). It is one of the famous attractions of the province renowned for its baroque architectural design. The church was declared as a World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1993. It serves as a symbol for the resilience and greatness of the Ilocanos.
Located along the shores of Bangui, the Windmills was also included in the new seal as a symbol of the innovativeness of the Ilocanos for pioneering renewable energy in the Southeast Asia.
Another addition to the new seal is the Patapat Viaduct, a 1.3 kilometer stretch of bridge which offers a perfect panorama of the Pagudpud coastline and the South China Sea. The viaduct was completed in the early 80’s under President Ferdinand E. Marcos’ leadership to connect the Maharlika highway from Laoag, Ilocos Norte to the Cagayan Valley Region. Its piers rest on spread footings founded on outcropping bedrock. The viaduct is a symbol of the many manmade and natural wonders the province.
On the other hand, the new insignia has retained from the old seal the image of Garlic, Rice stalks, and Tobacco leaves which stand for the Province’s agricultural industry and food self- sufficiency; 1818 as the founding year of the Province; and the designated provincial shield for Ilocos Norte.
As endorsed by the Sanggunian Panlalawigan, the National Historical Commission and the Department of Interior and Local Government approved the logo.
The new seal was officially launched by Gov. Imee R. Marcos just in time for the provincial capitol light up ceremonies which signified the Christmas season in the province on December 8, 2011.#