VIGAN CITY — Ilocos Sur Governor Ryan Luis V. Singson clarified that having the province under general community quarantine does not necessarily mean that the province is now 100% safe.
During the CoVID19 Action Center press briefing held last April 30, Singson expressed his observation that people seem excited about the province going from enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) to general community quarantine (GCQ).
However, Singson cautioned his constituents not to feel too excited about the change in the province’s status.
“Laglagipenyo, apo, we are still under community quarantine. Saanna kayat a sawen, since general quarantine-tayon, ket mabalintay’ nga agsubli iti dati nga ar-armidentayo. Mistake dayta,” he said.
He explained that not much will change in terms of quarantine restrictions. Although some businesses that were previously closed under ECQ are now allowed to operate, the same travel restrictions are still in place.
Singson said he understood why people are excited to go out of their homes but warned that unrestricted movement may trigger new COVID-19 cases in the province.
He advised the public not to belittle problem as he reminded everyone that the coronavirus is still in our midst and the war against the disease is not yet over.
He asked for the public’s continued cooperation in keeping the province infection-free so that quarantine may be totally lifted hopefully by May 15.
As of May 1, the Department of Health has recorded a total of 8,772 confirmed cases of coronavirus infections in the country, with a total of 579 deaths and 1,084 recoveries.