CAMP BGEN OSCAR M FLORENDO – For the past weeks, Ilocos Region experienced continuous heavy rains and flooding brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat). The bad weather caused floods that damaged homes and infrastructures, and isolating villages.
As of 10:00 PM, August 27, 2018, 86 houses and infrastructures in Ilocos Sur were destroyed, 42 barangays in the region were flooded, and 11 roads were isolated by habagat and left 200 families (730 individuals) in evacuation centers.
Reports reveal that a landslide in Ilocos Sur killed an individual, while one person is reported missing in Luna, La Union due to drowning.
Based on a press release sent on August 28, the Philippine National Police Regional Office 1 warns motorists about inaccessible roads including:
- Sitio Basset, Poblacion, Adams, Ilocos Norte;
- Cervantes-Quirino, Ilocos Sur road, Quirino-San Emilio road (not passable due to high level of water of the river);
- Salcedo, Ilocos Sur-Sigay-Del Pilar road (not passable due to high level of water of the river);
- Del Pilar-San Emilio, Ilocos Sur road (not passable due to high level of water of the river);
- Brgy Nanguneg-San Pedro Bridge, Narvacan, Ilocos Sur (not passable due to high level of water of the river);
- Road going to Brgy Daking, Balbalayang and Lon-oy, San Gabriel, La Union (not passable to any type of vehicle due to landslide at Sitio Padang, Brgy Bumbuneg. Ongoing clearing operations being conducted by personnel of MDRRMO and San Gabriel PS);
- Naguilian-Bagulin Road, Brgy Bimmotubot, Naguilian, La Union (not passable to all type of vehicles due to soil erosion. On-going clearing operations by MDRRMO);
- Bani, Pangasinan: Detour bridge in Brgy Garrita is passable to light vehicles only;
- Aguilar, Pangasinan: Sitio Sobol Bridge of Brgy Baybay (not passable to heavy Vehicles (Big Buses and Heavy truck));
- Bugallon, Pangasinan: Sitio Sobol, Brgy Baybay Aguilar bridge connecting Bugallon is passable to light vehicles; and
- San Carlos City, Pangasinan: Brgy. Aponit, going to Brgy Tamayo not passable to light vehicles.
However, Tawid News cannot verify if the status of these roads has improved at the time of posting.
The Police Regional Office 1 under the leadership of PCSupt Romulo E Sapitula, PRO1 Regional Director, deployed 57 police officers and 646 were on standby for possible Search and Rescue Operations in the region. (TNM/PNP PRO1 PIO)