Ilocos Norte under state of calamity

By Freddie G. Lazaro, PIA 1, Ilocos Norte

 

LAOAG CITY – Ilocos Norte was placed under a state of calamity after storm Odette has affected nearly 20,000 residents while damages in agriculture and public structures have climbed to more than P20 million.

The provincial board made the declaration in a special session on Sunday afternoon following reports on the storm’s effects.

Latest reports from the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (PDRRMC) showed damages amounting to P22.226 million in rice crops, high value commercial crops (HVCC),  live stock and fisheries including agri-infrastructure and protection dike.

Pedro Agcaoili, Jr., chief of PDRRMC’s administration unit, said the report was partial as he was expecting more damage reports from local councils in 21 towns and two cities.

Agcaoili said that as of Sunday afternoon, 47 barangays from 11 towns composed of 3,995 families with 19,678 estimated numbers of individuals have been affected by the typhoon.

He said a house in Pagudpud town as totally damaged; 14 houses were partially damaged; 3,522 homes were flooded; 453 were isolated and 5 houses were eroded.

“The provincial government under the leadership of Governor Marcos had already given an initial P125,391.60 worth of assistance to victims,” he said.

“The distribution of relief assistance to typhoon victims is on-going,” he added.

He said the reported landslide that occurred along the Ilocos Norte-Cagayan province route particularly in Barangay Pasaleng in Pagudpud has been cleared and now passable to all types of vehicles.

The declaration of the province as under state of calamity will authorize the local government to use its five percent calamity fund for the rehabilitation of damaged agricultural products and infrastructure and provide appropriate assistance to the victims.

The resolution also sought additional assistance from the National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council.#