Source: NNC Facebook
This year’s celebration of Nutrition Month was aimed to increase awareness on the role and importance of proper nutrition and physical activity in the prevention of being overweight and obese among the general public, encourage Filipinos to make positive decisions towards consumption of healthy diets and be physically active to prevent non-communicable diseases as a result of being overweight and obese and encourage communities, national and local governments, non-government organizations, private sector, media, the academe, and other stakeholders to put in place an enabling environment, which promotes proper nutrition and physical activity among Filipinos to prevent being overweight and obese.
National Nutrition Council NC pointed out that this year, the problem of overweight and obesity (both refer to overnutrition) is highlighted because of their increasing prevalence not only in the country but the world. Overweight and obesity increase the risk to cardiovascular diseases, type 2 diabetes, various forms of cancer and musculoskeletal disorders like arthritis.
Overnutrition also poses risk to having hypertension, dyslipidemia, sleep apnea, breathing problems and liver and gallbladder diseases.
Overweight and obesity are defined as abnormal or excessive fat accumulation that may impair health.
Overweight means weighing too much for one’s length/height or weight-for-length/height or BMI-for-age above the 2 z-score line. Obesity is the condition of being obese or severely overweight or weight-for-length/height or BMI for-age above the 3 z-score line.
To address the incidence of malnutrition and overnutrition, NNC proposed these 10 Kumainments:
1. Kumain ng iba’t-ibang pagkain (Eat different types of food).
2. Sa unang anim na buwan ni baby, breastfeeding lamang; mula anim na buwan, bigyan din sya ng ibang angkop na pagkain (Breastfeed a baby for the first six months, followed by different types of food for thenext six months)
3. Kumain ng prutas at gulay araw-araw (Eat fruits and vegetables every day)
4. Kumain ng isda, karne, at ibang pagkaing may protina (Eat fish, meat, and other food rich in protein)
5. Uminom ng gatas, kumain ng pagkaing mayaman sa calcium (Drink milk and other food rich in calcium)
6. Tiyaking malinis at ligtas ang gating pagkain at tubig (Always keep your food and water clean)
7. Gumamit ng iodized salt (Take iodized salt)
8. Hinay-hinay sa maaalat, mamantika, at matamis (Avoid eating too much salty, oily, and sweet foods)
9. Panatilihin ang tamang timbang (Keep a healthy weight)
10. Maging aktibo. Iwasan ang alak; huwag manigarilyo (Be active. Avoid alcohol and cigarettes)