Over 5,000 jobs for students up for grab this summer

By Miriaflor Rimando, PIA 1, La Union

 

SAN FERNANDO CITY, La Union, Mar. 19 (PIA) — More than 5,000 job vacancies under the Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES) in the Ilocos Region are waiting to be filled up this summer.

Arly Sta. Ana Valdez, Department of Labor and Employment information officer, said the program seeks to help poor but deserving students pursue their education by giving them work during off-school season to earn an income.

The recruitment of applicants started early this year and will end last week of March.

This year, the department targets to employ 5,424 students in four provinces: Pangasinan – 2,851, La Union – 700, Ilocos Sur – 900, and Ilocos Norte – 973 students.

Employers range from government agencies, local government units and private establishments which have committed to provide work for 20-45 days during vacation, Valdez said.

The program is open to all qualified high school, college or vocational students or drop-outs who are 15-25 years old; enrolled during the present school year/term or during the school year/term immediately preceding the summer vacation; dropouts who intend to continue their education; parents’ combined net income after tax, including his own, if any, does not exceed P36,000 per annum; garnered a passing grade during the school year/term referred above or in case of dropout, the last year/term attended; his/her parents has been displaced or about to be displaced due to business closure or work stoppage.

The student employment program is mandated under RA 9547 or an Act to help poor but deserving students pursue their education by encouraging their employment during summer or Christmas vacations.

Employers are required to pay only 60 percent of students’ salaries while DOLE will shoulder the remaining 40 percent.

For registration and more information, visit the nearest Public Employment Service Office.#