Vice President Jejomar C. Binay today announced that majority of the 5,363 informal settler families identified by the National Housing Authority (NHA) in evacuation centers in Metro Manila can be relocated within the week to available resettlement areas pending the construction of medium-rise buildings (MRBs) and permanent new settlements.
The families will be relocated to resettlement units in Towerville 6 and San Jose in Gaya-gaya, San Jose del Monte, Bulacan; Bocaue; Tanay; Southville 8b Phases 3 and 4; and Southville 9 in Baras, Rizal. The NHA, however, reported to the Vice President that it has yet to conduct a headcount of affected informal settlers in Marikina.
According to Binay, the NHA has also transferred 979 families to available units in higher areas within Kasiglahan Village in Rodriguez, Rizal. The said village is an NHA resettlement site heavily affected by floods during the monsoon rains.
“I have directed the NHA to determine whether or not to totally abandon the site. If it is still suitable for residential purposes, we need to come up with measures to mitigate flooding in the area,” he said.
Currently, the housing sector is pushing for the transfer of ISFs living in danger areas to MRBs in safer sites within Metro Manila as well as in new town settlements.
“While the MRBs are still to be constructed, the most viable option for relocating these families would be to use the available resettlement sites on a temporary basis,” the Vice President said.
The distribution of the identified families are as follows: 150 families in Litex in Quezon City; 2,400 in Manggahan, Pasig; 1,500 in Navotas; 970 in Manila (Happyland, Tondo, Nagtahan, and Isla Puting Bato); 200 in Malabon; 75 in San Juan; and 68 in Mandaluyong.
In another news, the Office of the Vice President (OVP) said it distributed relief goods to 103,047 families affected by typhoon Gener and the heavy monsoon rains.
In a report to Vice President Jejomar C. Binay, OVP Assistant Secretary Rosalie Licauco said the OVP distributed 8,500 relief bags in Mindoro; 24,128 in Bataan; 13,767 in Bulacan; 1,882 in Nueva Ecija; 6,150 in Pangasinan; 1,300 in Quezon City; 12,650 in Rizal; 7,500 in Cavite; 2,500 in Pasig; 1,000 in Marikina; 4,000 in Zambales; 2,000 in Caloocan; 10,500 in Tarlac;1,950 in Batangas; and 5,220 in Laguna.
Binay Wednesday led the relief operations in Imus, Gen. Trias, Rosario, Kawit, Noveleta and Bacoor in Cavite.
Last week, he visited families affected by severe flooding in Paombong, Malolos, Pulilan and Bustos in Bulacan. He also went to the evacuation centers in Marikina.
Binay said he is thankful to the people and organizations giving aid to those affected by the heavy flooding. He also expressed confidence that Filipinos can rise above the calamity.
“Nananatiling matatag ang diwa ng bayanihan sa ating lipunan. Naniniwala ako na walang pagsubok na di natin kayang lampasan kung tayo ay magtutulungan at magsasama-sama,” he added.
Binay said the OVP started relief efforts in Occidental Mindoro where heavy rains caused landslides and massive flooding. The OVP then distributed relief goods in the towns of Calasiao, Rosales and Bugallon in Pangasinan as well as in the towns of Abucay, Hermosa, Bagac, Morong and Orani in Bataan.
The Vice President through his 2012 Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) has allocated funds for relief operations and other social services, including the provision of school supplies as well as medical and burial assistance.#