VP Binay wants increased effort vs human trafficking and illegal recruitment of Yolanda victims

Vice President Jejomar C. Binay directed the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) to intensify its drive warning Yolanda victims about the dangers of illegal recruitment.

Binay also urged the police and the local government units to take the necessary steps needed to combat human trafficking. He said the fight against illegal recruitment and human trafficking would be more effective with the help of local officials.

“The police and local government officials need to be more proactive in their approach. Since they are more familiar with their constituents and their communities, they can easily spot the illegal recruiters and human traffickers in their areas,” Binay said.

“Illegal recruiters will likely take advantage of the situation following the devastation caused by Typhoon Yolanda. People who are in dire financial need and children who have been orphaned by this tragedy are easy targets for human traffickers and illegal recruiters,” he added.

The POEA had earlier issued a warning against illegal recruiters who are taking advantage of people in urgent need of a source of income. It also issued a similar warning to residents of areas hit hard by the earthquake in Bohol and Cebu, and by the rebel attack in Zamboanga City.

“I would like to remind our kababayans that before you accept any job offer, please verify first with the POEA or the Department of Labor and Employment if the recruiter has a valid license or is authorized to recruit OFWs,” Binay said.

Vice President Jejomar C. Binay today condemned as a senseless act the bombing on Thursday of the compound Yemen’s Ministry of Defense where at 52 people were killed, including seven Filipino health workers.

The Department of Foreign Affairs also reported that the attack injured 11 other Filipinos.

“I condemn the bombing in the Yemeni capital of Sanaa. It was a senseless act that has no place in the modern world,” the Vice President said.

Binay also supported the Department of Foreign Affairs’ call for Yemen to ensure the protection of foreign workers amid the instability and turmoil the country is experiencing.

The Vice President also called on Yemen to assist the kin of the blast victims.

“I hope the Yemeni government will make sure that the families of the bombing casualties are extended all possible assistance they will be needing, particularly in the recovery and repatriation of the victims,” he said.

Binay also assured the families of the Filipino victims that the Philippine government is ready to help them.

“I ask all Filipinos to pray for the victims and their families. Let us also pray that the situation in Yemen stabilizes so that other Filipinos in the country will remain safe,” the Vice President also said.#